Application: The word ‘ikan’ is used to describe fish in general. The word that follows describes the kind of fish.
Meaning: this/these(ini), that/those(itu)
The demonstratives ini and itu:
- follow the head noun and do not distinguish between one and more than one.
- can occur with all classes of nouns.
- can refer to someone or something previously mentioned but not now present.
- can refer to someone or something, as when pointing.
- can refer to someone or something present, but not previously mentioned and not now present.
- can be used with generic noun.
- can be used with certain nominalized verbal clauses, referring to all instances of the action.
|1. buku ini
– kedua buku ini
– negeri itu
– negeri-negeri itu
2. Siti itu
3. Bagaimana rumah itu?
4. Saya tinggal di rumah ini.
5. Rumah besar itu rumah Tomo; saya tinggal di rumah ini.
6. Harimau itu binatang liar.
7. Lari itu sehat.
these two books
What is that house like?
I live in this house.
That big house is Tomo’s; I live in this house.
The tiger is a wild animal.
Running is healthy.